Updated: Dec 7, 2019
Well, let me be honest…I have no idea where to start. The only thing I’m sure about is how much Chapter 25 has shaped me and molded me into the woman I am today. This past year has been my greatest year of life thus far. I’ve learned more than I’ve ever learned and I’ve experienced more than I’ve ever experienced. It almost feels like this past year was my “ah-ha” moment, the year when everything started to come full circle. Chapter 25 was eye-opening and extremely necessary for my growth and development. Certain things were happening throughout the year and each time I took mental notes…after a while, everything started to make sense.
Birthdays are always odd for me, only because I lost my Mother on my 21st birthday. Yeah, this year makes 5 years without her. Thankfully, this is the first year where I actually feel at peace. I’ve grown so much in such a short period of time, I’m more in tune with myself and it has really impacted every aspect of my life.
Top 10 Things I’ve Learned This Past Year
1. Don’t be Afraid to End a Relationship—this applies to any kind of relationship. Sometimes we hold on to relationships because of time and history and we neglect the damage it may be doing to us.
2. Let Go—don’t hold grudges but be consistent with protecting your peace and energy.
3. Spend on Experiences—Material things go away. Spend your money on experiences rather than tangible things. I traveled more than I’ve ever traveled this year and each experience was unforgettable.
4. You Can’t Please Everyone—I’m a natural people-pleaser, which has backfired on me several times. Everyone won’t view you from the same lens. Don’t stress yourself trying to make sure everyone around you is satisfied.
5. Communicate—talk everything out. Assuming is the worst thing you could ever do. Poor communication ruins all kinds of relationships. As much as possible, try to give the benefit of the doubt. Miscommunications are the worst; sometimes you don’t notice that the gap between you and the other person just keeps getting bigger because of miscommunications and misunderstandings.
6. Listen—you don’t know everything. Be willing to receive information the same way we’re always eager to express and share; regardless of what stage you’re at in life.
7. Make Friends—I went through a period of time where I was totally against having friends. I wouldn’t ever get to close to anyone and I always did everything alone or with associates. This past year, I realized it is okay to have “friends”. Make memories, support each other, and don’t let anything come in between you all.
8. Don’t Compare Yourself to others—be so busy trying to water your own grass that you don’t check and see if others have it greener.
9. Your life, Your Timeline—don’t let anyone pressure you or force you into thinking you’re not moving at the right place. It’s your life and no one is in charge of it but you.
10. Don’t’ Chase People—if it’s worth fighting for, then fight for it. Otherwise, don’t chase. The effort, time, and energy in chasing people are not worth it if they don’t want you to be in their lives.